After becoming a members during Maker Monday, Machine Specific Training allows members to use the other machines in MIT MakerWorkshop. Once members have completed the specific training for a machine, they receive a sticker for their badge, allowing them to use that specific machine.
Missing Training Policy:
A sign-up for a training must be cancelled before 7PM on the day before the scheduled training. Under extraneous circumstances, a sign-up can be canceled last minute with a warning email (we are human too). Members who do compile will receive a flag and after 2 flags, will not be allowed to sign up for machine specific trainings for the next 6 months.
Additional Sign-Up Information for Mill & Lathe:
MIT MakerWorkshop does not support training on the mill and lathe from scratch. Formal outsidetraining is required to use the mill and lathe. The following count as formal outside training:
- One of the following classes: 2.670 & 2.810 (flashlight version),
- MIT flashlight course at an MIT machine shop (such as Edgerton, LMP, Papalardo, etc.),
- Flashlight equivalent course at another university for graduate students, facuilty, and staff.
Signup Here (Signups close at 7 PM the night before trainings)
- Sign up only for time slots that have been posted by mentors (do not make a new training or add additional slots).
- If there is more than one slot under training, multiple members will be trained at once (do not make additional slots).
- If you cannot find a time, add your name to the waitlist at bottom. The waitlist allows us to assess demand and post more trainings accordingly. Adding your name to the waitlist will not give you preference for newly posted slots.
- If you have persistent schedule conflicts with the posted times, contact the machine team to see how they can accommodate. Their contact information is listed under quick information on the side.
- Some machines allow for ad hoc training by the on-duty mentor. This is contingent on:
- MIT Makerworkshop being mostly empty/mentor availability,
- Mentor qualification to train. To find out which Mentors have training qualification and expertise, please visit our mentor page.